CIC changes related to international students

02/24/2014 by

Study permit will only be assigned to students who are studying in an educational institution that has been selected to accept international students. Study permits will automatically give the holder permission to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. Only international students who are enrolled at a secondary school may apply for co-op work permit if it's an integral part of their studies. 

Visitors may apply for study permit from within Canada condition to their acceptance at a designated learning institute. Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.

A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the person possesses a valid work permit or an authorization to remain inCanada. Eligible international students will be authorized to work full-time after studies are completed until a conclusion is made on their application for a post-graduate work permit.